DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
The department is equipped with lab, with a infrastructure of having 70 system along with the headsets and English software to teach phonetics. The department is furnished with various library books for enlightening the students and staff. The Department has been working hard to bring about a change in the methodology of teaching, evaluation of the language curriculum to cater the needs of various levels of students. A learner-centered environment prevails in the department with the support of Wi-Fi enabled smart classrooms. The Labs enable students to equip themselves with an array of much needed skill viz public speaking, Group Discussion, Debate etc. The Department takes immense pride in cultivating and consolidating student’s soft skills, enhancing their employability, inspiring and motivating them to live ethical, fulfilling lives with a strong sense of personal accountability and civic responsibility.
The Department of English has been functioning with the objectives as:
1. To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
2. To enable the students to understand comprehension passages.
3. To enrich students’ in communication skills as well as soft skills.
4. To understand phonetic sounds and transcription.
5. To create interest in English.
6. To prepare the students towards the employability.
7. To motivate the students to pursue for higher education.
8. To mould the character and conduct of the students.
9. To advise the students to become ideal citizens of India
The Department of English offers the following programmes in CBCS mode from the academic year 2015-2016. Besides, The Department involves in teaching interdisciplinary courses (CSS) i.e., non-core subjects particularly all the Departments.
B.Sc. (M.S.Cs)., Mathematics-Statistics-Computer Science.
B.Sc. (M.P.Cs)., Mathematics-Physics-Computer Science.
B.Sc. (B.Z.C)., Botany-Zoology-Chemistry.
B.Com (CA)., Computer Applications.
B.Sc.(B.B.C)., Botany – Bio-technology - Chemistry
Seminars, jams, group discussions, debates, quizzes, social extension activities, class room interactive activities, class counselling, etc., are some of the important co-curricular activities, extra-curricular activities and outreach activities of the department for the betterment of the students. Invited and guest lectures are some of the essential activities of the faculty for enrichment of the students and faculty. As for as consultancy services concerned, the Department of English contribute more in imparting training in communication skills. Continuous Faculty Developing Programmes are some of the vital activities for the development of the faculty and for achieving quality education. The Department provides the students language lab to developed listening, speaking, reading and writing practices that draws on the strengths, basic knowledge in spoken English.
The strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, challenges and future plans of the department are:
• Qualified, competent and dedicated faculty.
• Well established infrastructural facilities.
• Timely encouragement and cooperation from the management.(copy to all the departments)
Since the students are from Telugu medium and rural areas, there is a drawback in communication skills development among the students.
• More opportunities for higher studies
• More opportunities for placements in private sectors as well as Government sectors
• More opportunities to obtain self employment
• Innumerable chances to get settle down in various fields like teaching, writing etc.,
• To improve communication and soft skills
• To give competitive spirit to get employment
• To eliminate fear of English
• Upgrading the department by starting PG Programme
• Encouraging the staff members to get doctorate and to qualify NET/SET.
• Motivating faculty to take up projects.
• Encouraging the faculty towards research publications.
• Conducting extension activity for our students in different fields to improve their communicative skills.
• Looking for grants from funding agencies to conduct National and International conferences to create awareness among students about recent trends in English Literature.
The Department of English has a highly qualified, dedicated faculty.
© 2022 Sri VIvekhanandha Women's Degree College,Kadapa.All rights are reserved Developed By Gudduz Technologies